Myriad has teamed up with the award-winning comedy television company Roughcut Television (Cuckoo, BAFTA-winning People Just Do Nothing, Trollied) in a call-out for a comedy or comedy/drama in graphic novel form that can be developed into a comic drama series for television. The deadline is 30 September 2017.
Myriad Comic Cuts is looking for strong characters and setting which can support multiple storylines to give potential for sequels.
Tim Sealey, Executive Producer with Roughcut TV, says: ‘We’re thrilled to be partnering with Myriad to search for the next standout comedy or comedy drama. This is a fantastic opportunity for new writers to get their work adapted for TV. We’re very excited to be expanding our slate in this way and we can’t wait to see the brilliant ideas come through the door.’
The call for submissions is open to ALL cartoonists, writers and artists. Corinne Pearlman, Creative Director at Myriad Editions, says: ‘We are looking principally for great ideas for a graphic novel that also has potential as a TV series. We’re asking for an extract of ten to twenty pages that includes at least a couple of pages of finished artwork, so we know what you’re intending your graphic novel to look like, but the rest of the extract can be roughed out or pencilled.’
Myriad Comic Cuts complements Myriad’s First Graphic Novel Competition, which will be announced later this year at the Lakes International Comic Art Festival.
Submissions to Myriad Comic Cuts may be from a single author or may be a collaboration between a writer and artist. The successful entrant(s) will have the opportunity to develop their work with Myriad and Roughcut’s creative and editorial teams with a view to being offered a contract for publication and to develop the idea for television. The organisers are hoping to attract artists reflecting our culturally diverse society and look forward to spreading the word as widely as possible.
The submissions for Myriad Comic Cuts will be considered by:
Ash Atalla, Executive Producer, Roughcut TV
Tim Sealey, Executive Producer, Roughcut TV
Corinne Pearlman, Creative Director, Myriad Editions
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Submissions are open to writers over 18, of any nationality.
- The extract (of no less than 10 pages and no longer than 20 pages) should be intended to be part of a longer work.
- The extract must include at least two pages of finished art. The remaining pages can be composed of pencilled / inked roughs showing clear composition of art and text.
- Entries must be previously unpublished by a professional or commercial publisher in print or online.
- Entries must be original and in English.
- Entries received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Entrants should retain a copy of their entries. No entry can be returned.
- The successful entrant[s] agree[s] to the use of his/her name[s] and photograph[s] in relation to publicity material.
- The successful entrant (or entrants) agrees that Myriad Editions has first option to consider the finished work for publication and Roughcut Television has first option to develop for television or film.
Submissions should include:
- One-page pitch of the story idea and key characters
- Treatment outline
- Ten- to twenty-page sample chapter / extract from longer work including at least two pages of finished art.
- CV including any previously published work
- Name, postal address, email address, contact number and title of the submission.
Please send your entry by email to email@example.com by 30 September 2017.